Download Preparation Instructions
Buy at any pharmacy a one gallon bottle of CoLyte and TWO GREEN bottles of Magnesium Citrate. (NOT RED)
Stop taking iron for one week before the day of the procedure.
You must have a pre-op physical prior to your procedure. If Dr. Bhatti has not done that for you, you will need to visit your family doctor for that.
Your family doctor will also determine which medicines you will need to take and which medicines you can take after your procedure.
If you take blood thinners, check with your doctor as to when you should stop your blood thinner. An INR will be needed before your procedure.
If you take aspirin for a medical reason, DO NOT stop taking it. If you take aspirin but not for a medical reason, stop taking it 7 days before your procedure.
2 Days Before Procedure:
Have a CLEAR LIQUID diet all day long. No solid food. Clear liquids include Gatorade, carbonated beverages, coffee (no cream), tea, flavored gelatin, ices without milk, popsicles, fruit juices and drinks without pulp, bouillon, broth, honey, sugar, plain hard candy, salt and pepper. NO RED/PURPLE LIQUIDS OR JELLO or milk or milk products.
At 5:00 PM drink ONE GREEN bottle of Magnesium Citrate.
1 Day Before Procedure:
- Have a CLEAR LIQUID diet all day long. No solid food. Clear liquids include Gatorade, carbonated beverages, coffee (no cream), tea, flavored gelatin, ices without milk, popsicles, fruit juices and drinks without pulp, bouillon, broth, honey, sugar, plain hard candy, salt and pepper. NO RED/PURPLE LIQUIDS OR JELLO or Milk or Milk products.
- Begin drinking the CoLyte at 5:00 PM. and drink an 8 oz. glass every 10-20 minutes over the next 2-4 hours until the ENTIRE gallon is gone. Be sure to take ALL of the CoLyte. The procedure may not be able to be done if the prep is incomplete.
- Do NOT drink BROTH after starting CoLyte prep.
- To mix the CoLyte, follow the directions on the bottle.
- Prep may taste better chilled. This may make you feel cold.
- You may add Crystal Light (lemon flavor) or sugar-free powdered lemonade mix. Do NOT use mixtures with sugar.
- Its best to drink each glass quickly rather than drinking small amounts continuously. You may feel bloating and nausea while taking the prep.
- Thrity minutes after finishing the CoLyte, drink the last GREEN bottle of Magnesium Citrate.
- You will have many loose bowel movements which should stop by bedtime. The stool should be clear and light tan in color.
- Any medicine taken within 1 hour of starting to drink the CoLyte will be flushed out of your body by the prep.
- Continue clear liquids until bedtime. Do NOT drink anything after midnight, including water.
- If you have any questions please call our office immediately. Please do not wait until the next day as the procedure may not be able to be performed.
Day of Procedure:
- Plan at least 3 hours total for your procedure.
- Arrive for your procedure at the scheduled arrival time with a list of your current medications.
- Your driver must stay until your procedure is done. If this is not pre-arranged, your procedure will need to be rescheduled at a later date to ensure your safety.
- After the procedure, you will be movied to our recovery area to be evaluated. Expect to feel a little groggy after your procedure.
After the Procedure:
- If you have a delicate digestive system you MAY want to eat lighter fare than normal for your first few hours after your procedure.
- Possibly avoid greasy and/or spicy foods until after you put something lighter into your system.
- Unless otherwise directed, you may resume eating normally.